Saturday 26 January 2013

Typica Cafe, not your typical Cafe

Last weekend, me and my dear went to Typica Cafe in Shaw Parade. The visit was long due because we had been planning to go there forever but never seems to be able to squeeze out time. But I am glad we finally did!

The Typica Cafe is located behind the Berjaya Times Square from the main road. From the outside, the Shaw Parade seems like a very old, antique building. After getting a slot in the old and narrow parking area, we took the lift and down to G floor. Immediately out of the lift, we smelled something very fragrant and yet very familar. No doubt, it's the coffee aroma! In fact, the cafe is just in front of us from the lift.

Even though the cafe was just there right in front, we (I actually) were stunned there for a second - there seems to be no main door for entrance, only a side door. Anyhow, masuk saja lah. It turns out that's the door we're supposed to use.

The moment we stepped in, a time machine has brought us back into the 1970s. The music, the decoration.. Very cosy environment. Every little details of the cafe just goes to show the efforts and passion that spills out from the people there. The little flower decoration on the desk, a nostalgic exam table where we always sit during the primary school, very artistic menu.

Based on the recommendation of my colleague, I went and ordered a cold drip Mandheling, and my dear ordered a cheese cake - her usual pick. Unfortunately, no espresso nor espresso-based drink were serve there, so no cappa for her as black coffee is 'yucky' for her.

One thing worth noting, the barista there seems to pay very close attention to the brewing process. Before grinding, the barista gave the beans a smell. After grinding, smell again to make sure nothing is wrong. During brewing process, the barista again smelled the coffee to make sure the coffee is brewing properly. But it just make me wondering, won't the nose get numb after so much of smelling? Haha.


Anyhow, the coffee and the cake arrived! Just for your information, their cold drip coffee was brewed using a cool glass tower, that was dripping a few drop every seconds. At that rate, a cup of coffee requires upwards of 5-8 hours, just to make a cup of coffee! How amazing is that?

Here's some photos that will do the talking :D

The coffee bar

Limited space but very nicely decorated!


Their bench, as I understood, was actually a retired old sign board!

My long awaited cold drip coffee- Indonesia Mandheling, served in martini glass

The almost finished cheesecake ;P


The crew picking up flawed beans. No way I have the same patience as she does! :P

 My dear trying to drink the black coffee. She said it's better than what I brewed! In defense, I told her it's the Tesco preground beans so of course it's not as good xD


 As I come home, I brought a small pack of souvenir. Hehe.




It was very nicely packed. The coffee was too little though so the coffee was very diluted. :(


In closing, we finally manage to give a visit to the famous Typica Cafe that I've longed to go for almost 2 months! To be honest though, I am a little disappointed with the visit. The coffee was decent (not impressive either), but the price is very high, which I suspect due to the low volume and the hand crafted process added to the coffee making. 





No comments:

Post a Comment