Saturday 24 November 2012

Tesco ground coffee

In Malaysia, the coffee industry is definitely still very young in its infancy stage. So every thing about coffee here, including the machine, the grinder, the beans etc, is also undoubtedly very expensive as it is a niche market.

A bag of 1 lb(453gm) gram fresh roasted bean easily cost RM80-100. Comparatively to United States, a fresh gold standard bag of 1 lb of coffee from the most famous roaster - Intelligentsia, is only USD 20, which is equivalent to our MYR 65. Very shocking huh? The only hope I have is that it will get better as the market grows bigger.

Meanwhile, I am seeking for a cheaper and more viable alternative for my coffee, without compromising too much on the taste. So today, I purchased a bag of Tesco preground coffee that they're selling for RM 13.50 for half a pound (227gm). Actually I had thought for very long and in dilemma whether I should buy it or not. That's because preground coffee is a big no-no for a true connoisseur. While I might still be a budding coffee snob, budget plays a big part in my decision. So, what the heck, it could turn out great for the mere RM13.50! Worst case I have to tahan the bad coffee for a week lo.


So here it is:



Up until this minute, the aroma leaking from the one-way-valve on the bag is very very nice. A bit earthy with Sumatra spiciness. I suspect it's a coffee blend with Sumatra beans as main component. As for the verdict, only my bud can tell after I brew it. Will share how it turns out.



After thought: Would be better though if they're selling in whole beans. But again, it's a niche market where 99% of people don't have access to grinder...the cruel reality


1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Organic Coffee Beans Brisbane

    ReplyDelete